Wanna look like a rockstar at your next holiday gathering, while also using your OCD tendencies for the good of all? Yeah, me too. Hence, Caprese Salad. It looks all big and fancy, it’s way over priced at restaurants and it takes about 10 minutes to throw together. Not to mention the fact that someone is going to find one thing on the plate they like. (My sister only eats the cheese much to the dismay of my perfectly organized plate.)
I like to serve this salad staggered, that way it’s easy to scoop into neat little piles of goodness, so you get creamy mozzarella, sweet basil and juicy tomato in each bite. Also, if you lay the slices like this, you can hide the tomatoes you butchered because you can’t cut straight and you don’t have the good sense to just buy yourself a mandoline already and have done with it.
Source: Being Italian! 😛
- ~ 1lb Sliced Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper (Optional)
- Slice your mozzarella and tomatoes into neat, even sized rounds.
- Alternate slices of tomato, then mozzarella on the plate, staggering the rounds so they lay about about halfway over the preceding piece.
- Alternate basil leaves on the left and right sides of each piece of tomato and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
To make things super easy, you can buy pre-sliced mozzarella.